The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Friday, January 19, 2007

Promotion?

As I've possibly mentioned before, there's a big possibility that I'm going to get a promotion soon. This is good. For a start I'm really ready for a new challenge at work now. I have been for a while if I'm honest. While I love being a library assistant and all the people I work with, the job itself is quite limited and we do tend to do the same things day in, day out. I love the counter duties, serving the customers in particular and the battles with the management that have occurred over the last year or two (though the battles aren't actually in the job description of course) but the fact is that there simply isn't any challenge in it any more. I can do it all in my sleep these days and I'm bored much of the time.

So there's promotion been mentioned. The new job sounds like quite a challenge. I'd be the branch supervisor for two of the smaller branches in the borough, Birch Hill and Great Hollands. Birch Hill is a lovely little library that doesn't have too much trouble. Great Hollands though is a different matter being on the roughest estate in Bracknell, and having trouble with kids hanging around and causing trouble. That doesn't scare me much. After running the shop and dealing with that kind of thing every day I know that I can handle that OK just by playing them at their own game. From what's been said, the previous supervisor was too timid to do anything and just locked the doors. I don't think you should limit the opening like that, as after all, we're supposed to be open to all. I used to find watching them, and following them round used to piss them off so much that any troublemaker would just leave.

So I'm very tempted by the job. It's funny, everyone is treating it like it's a done deal. It isn't yet. There's applications, interviews and stuff to go yet, and there will be other applicants I have to beat. Still, despite that I feel confident that all the experience I have will work in my favour and I know I can sell myself pretty well, despite it being a long time since I was last interviewed.

So anyway, this morning I'm off to work in Great Hollands library. I've got my notebook ready to jot down some ideas for improvements/ things that need doing there. All information is useful. I know that much.

In other news, we seem to have escaped last night's gales without any damge. When I got home last night our road was cordoned off by the Police and the army were busy taking down one of our neighbours' trees. I always worry because we have a tree in the front garden and one in the back, either or which would do a great deal of damage if they came down on the house, but we seem to survive. There are many branches down in the back garden that'll need seeing too, but it could have been a whole lot worse than it is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for it Sim - you'll be great!

10:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Si!

You'll be superb!

Si.

11:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home