The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Sunday, April 23, 2006

A Weekend of my Own

I've got one of those rare weekends that's all my own. Steve has been very busy, going to parties in Walthamstow and playing computer games, and so I'm here all by myself. I used to hate this, you know, having all my time to fill on my own, but once you're in a relationship (and certainly once you're living with someone) it becomes something of a treat.
I wish I could say, though, that I've used the time profitably. I haven't really. I've been knackered all week, so there's been some catching up with much need sleep going on, there's been the usual net surfing, and not much else to be honest. Ah well, it's just nice to be here alone for a while I suppose. I will be pleased to see him later though!

Last night's Doctor Who seems to have silenced all last week's critics. It was a great episode, really atmospheric and very well written. I thought the werewolf was really well realised too. As they said in Confidential, fur isn't easy to render, so they deserve much praise for doing such a great job.
Pauline Collins was the star of the show though. Her Queen Victoria was really superbly brought to life and she played her to perfection. I liked the way the Queen wasn't made out to be the humourless woman she's often portrayed to be, and that she often had a little twinkle in her eye. It made her unexpected banishing of the Doctor and Rose even more unexpected. Within Doctor Who itself this is almost unique, as the Doctor usually charms authority figures like her by the end of the story. I was quite shocked!
David Tennant was very good. His portrayal seems to be dividing opinion at the moment. I liked the moment when he mentioned the knowledge in the room stored in the books being the greatest weapon they had. That's a brilliantly Doctorish moment! People are commenting that the relationship between the Doctor and Rose is rather smug, but then, to outsiders, don't all really close relationships/ friendships come across like that? I know I've been accused of that at times!
Next week, of course, we have Sladen and K9! Fab! I hear they might be on Blue Peter tomorrow... who could have imagined that would ever happen this side of 1981?

Current Music: Keane: Hopes and Fears
Current Book: Doctor Who- The Stone Rose: Jac Rayner
Current top: Navy Union Jack T-Shirt

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With you 100% there Sim!

And now - for Sweden!

11:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're having a nice weekend Si. Agree with you about Who - was fab this week! We'll be watching it again later!

Si.

1:34 pm  
Blogger Si said...

I imagine I will be too Si. I don't know if Steve managed to see it last night or not. Even if he did we'll probably watch it with the commentary on BBC 3. That's something I approve of!

Oh and Gaz, hope the trip goes well!

1:54 pm  
Blogger Si said...

And Si, have a great holiday!

1:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home