The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Whinge!

This week I mostly hate being a Doctor Who fan.

Mostly I love being a fan, but this week has been very wearing . I don't normally get upset with fandom at large, because I know I'm another anal fan, the same as the rest of them, but there are limits. This week has seen the new epsiode, New Earth, criticised, kicked around, scrutinised, picked apart and spat out the other end, with the final result that any magic or fun has been drained out of it by the constant miserable moans of a very vocal set of fans. There's been even worse at OG. Thank god I don't post there.
Now I don't think the episode deserves that much of a kicking. It wasn't the best episode ever, but it was by no means the worst. I think I just find it so soul destroying that no matter waht, you get cries of "RTD can't write" (ahem, yes he can), "Its not like it was in 1980s/ 1970s", "I've already decided I'm going to hate this episode, but I'll be watching it anyway" and so on and so on.
I know Doctor Who isn't perfect, and I know that the new shorter episodes mean that there isn't always room for everything to be as well constructed and explored as it could be and that sometimes there's going to be a quick resolution... but it just really gets to me that people aren't open minded enough to accept the change, that they're only happy when they're whinging about what it's not, rather than what it is. It's been the same forever... no fans are ever happy with what's being made at the moment... it's never as good as it used to be, and well frankly I'm bored, fed up and tired of reading post after post of it.
Only minutes ago we've had a poster complaining that it's another Victorian era episode this week, saying why don't we get stories with Solon the Greek or Alexander the Great or Petrach... well I don't know about you, but they sound dull compared to Queen Victoria and a Werewolf? I'm sure RTD knows what he's doing. It might be an era that's been visited before, but it's a dramatic and recognisable time period, which is why time and again Doctor Who goes back there. Would a Doctor Who meets Petrach story be nearly as accessible as A Queen Victoria story for the viewers at large (actually I can hear the poster's snobby reply to that right now, so I won't say on the thread).... I really don't think so.

Rant over!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Week I mostly hate Doctor Who fans :)

EVERY show has ups and downs (even BSG) and fans should appreciate it. Makes the good episodes look better, and the great episodes blow you away!

Within its current format I think it is doing brilliantly. And lets face it - hardcore fans are in the minority when it comes to the viewers - I can't remember the last time my mum or even more my father-in-law passed a favourable comment about something I actually watched till Who came along.

It's not just a good show - it's building family unity!

Oh and for the record the Queen Vickie + warewold soudns a bit Call of Cthulhu, but should be interesting. Doctor Who and the Who the Feck is the Petrach might make a good story ;)

Now how about Doctor Who and Death of Diana...? :)

1:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Warewold" Hmn, somekind of lycanthropic countryside - now there's a story!

1:31 pm  
Blogger Si said...

That's my fast but poor typing and oh my god its the end of lunchtime and I'm due on the counter so I won't bother checking it through!

2:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You spelled it right - I spelled it wrong. And all is right in the world...

3:23 pm  
Blogger Si said...

Ha! You see I'm so used to making mistakes when I reply to your blog, that I'm even taking the blame for your mistakes now Gaz!

6:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might have to take advantage of that!

10:07 am  
Blogger Si said...

Well, there was this Doctor Who story me and Si wrote a few years back that had strange goings on behind the scenes at the a soap opera... we're hoping to do an audio version later in the year...

7:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home