The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter

I suppose I ought to mention the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who, New Earth, but since it's been analysed to death on Planet Skaro, I find I don't really have a great deal to say about it. All there seems to have been since it aired is arguments and bickering about whether it made sense or if it was good or not... I really don't know what to say. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not the best Doctor Who story ever, but it was great fun and highly entertaining.
I have to admit I've been in a strange and very defensive mood about it since it was on. I don't quite know what to say about any of it. Maybe I'm just tired and tired of people looking for holes that have to exist in these things... as far as I could see, it all hung together pretty well. There could have been less body-swapping going on, but nothing is perfect. I suppose in some ways I'm better off watching the show in a completely isolated way, so that I can maintain my own little bubble of happiness! Ah well.
Still, my nephew is well on his way to becoming hooked on the show. After watching Bad Wolf/ The Parting of the Ways on Thursday (and telling me, excitedly about all the best bits on Good Friday) and then watching it on Saturday and really enjoying it, I think we might have a new fan in the making. Don't tell my sister though! He's the same age I was when i got hooked and it's wonderful to see that all the kids are back into loving it again. That's the best thing of all that could have happened.
When you think about it, it's done extraordinarily well. There's a children's comic, action figures, enough merchandise to bankrupt you if you try and buy it all... I always knew that if the show was treated carefully it could be a hit again, but I never expected it to be this popular. Once again on Saturday night it was the most watched show (over 3m more viewers than Harry Potter on ITV) of the evening. Could a 4th year be assured? I do hope so.

It's been a great weekend. On Good Friday we were invited over to Laura's Mum and Dad's for hot cross buns and coffee, which was great. They always have a house full of people, and it's nice to be involved... we ended up playing hide and seek with Luke, and had a good chat with the rest of the family. Jay broke his toe at the start of the week, so he looked a bit uncomfortable all morning, and despite the present problems between them, Dad and Mark seemed to get on ok... Mostly by ignoring each other, but that's still better than them arguing some more.
Once we'd managed to get away ( never easy where saying goodbye to family members is concerned), we went into Reading. After a silly throwaway comment a couple for week's back at Si's we'd really thought about getting anew TV. I've had mine for 8 years (and brought it second hand) and it's just starting to get a bit temperamental, so with Steve having had a nice tax rebate, we thought it might be a good idea. The trip to Reading itself, was as ever, stressful (it's a bastard to navigate round), but once we got to Richer Sounds things were fine.
We ended up with a 32" LCD widescreen Philips TV, and it's absolutely gorgeous. The picture is superb and we spent the rest of Friday watching TV and films to see what it could it do (the new Doctor Who titles look magnificent! Would it be sad to admit that they were one of the first things we watched?) We watched Solaris last night and it looked so gorgeous! It's certainly a worthy purchase!

Saturday was good. I baked a pretty good Carrot Cake (though not having a set of kitchen scales means I was guessing the quantities, which is never ideal and it wasn't quite sweet enough alas) and it did make the house smell lovely just as our guests Si and Simon arrived. We had a great day with them. We took them to black park, the location for a couple of Doctor Who stories (and Superman II) and had a good chat as we walked round the woods and the lake. They're always really good company and it was nice this time, for a change to have a chance to chat all evening rather than sitting watching something on TV. I really enjoyed that and despite Si's worries I wasn't really quiet because he was taking New Earth apart, I've just been a bit tired the last few days and it after the beer it was beginning to hit me a bit by Saturday night. Still, his home made hot cross buns were wonderful! I'm glad to hear they had a nice evening with us... They're two of our favourite people.

Today is another easy day before we go off to see Chris for a barbeque this afternoon. Lets hope the sunshine holds, eh.

Currrent Doctor Who: New Earth (with Commentary)
Current Music: Dusty: Wishing and Hoping
Current friend who's birthday I forgot: Mark :(

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Who - the only problem when it's coming off too really great stories (PotW and TCI) that anything else is going to be a bit anticlimatical.

Still enjoyable fluff - even if plotlining needed a touch of polish (and we don't hear The Face of B.O.'s secret till season 3? Bah - we all know he's the Voice of Rassilon's B.O.)

10:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home