The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Old Friends

Tonight's Doctor Who hit the mark perfectly. It may not have been the best episode of the new series overall, but I think it might be my favourite, if only for doing the impossible, or what seemed like the impossible and exploring what happens when the Doctor leaves you behind (in Aberdeen!!). It's rather an obvious story to tell really, and although it's been done in a couple of the books, being able to see it happen was amazing.
It was really rather amazing to see Sarah Jane and K9 back in action. Along time ago, myself and Si were contributors to a very silly thread about what might have happened to Doctor Who if it had continued after 1989. One of the silliest posts involved the return of Sarah and K9 who were still out investigating mysteries together, when they stumble across the Doctor again... We dismissed it as a great joke, but of course, that's precisely what's happened tonight. Neither of them disappointed either.
I've never been a huge fan of Sarah, but I have to admit that tonight Lis Sladen was absolutely spot on, from the warmth of the magical first scene in the staff room, the moment where she sees the TARDIS and stumbles away in shock and horror, and when she cried when she hears K9 has been blown up (I did too I have to admit!), not to mention the oneupmanship with Rose, Sarah was written perfectly and Lis gave a performance worthy of the script. It was just great to see the Doctor finally give her the goodbye she deserved. That hug was a special moment in an episode full of great moments.
As for K9... well as I've said before, I have a special love for K9, and although he didn't do as much as I hoped, it was great to see him back in action, all rusty and old! I loved it when his batteries were running down (some things never change) and was pleased they got the sound effects right for his return. Seeing K9 Mk 4 at the end made me grin hugely!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to agree with you on the assessment - only wish Tony Head had been given more to do. What he did do was great, he's a good bad guy. Kinda wish they could have given him a 2 parter or reoccuring villan something rather than things the Face of (yawn) Bo.

Has Liz Sladen been stuck in a time warp because her face and figure were both amazing for a woman her age!

And huzzah for more Micky - he's a Kinggoose favourite!

8:48 pm  
Blogger Si said...

I know what you mean about Anthony Stewart Head, he did seem rather wasted in a single episode, when he'd have made a superb recurring villain. He certainly seemed to bring out the very best in David Tennant. As did Ms Sladen and the tin dog!

We love Mickey in our house too!

True Si Fact: Tony head once rang up Bracknell Library and I answered the phone to him!

9:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in awe of you once more. Makes knowing Neil Innes' best mate seem far less show biz!

5:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home