The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Work

Work has been strangely more fraught than usual the last few days. Part of the problem with the cuts to the staffing has meant that there is always a pile up of work waiting for us to do. Now I'm all for letting it pile up because it's the only obvious way of showing that we're very under pressure, so when we're always a day behind with the deliveries from the branches, there are several knock on effects: there aren't enough boxes for the next day's deliveries or to pack up any stock revision books to go out to the branches, the lift is always full of delivery that we can't get onto the floor because the shelving is backed up because there aren't enough of us to go out and do it and customers can't find the things that say they're in on the catalogue because quite frankly they could be anywhere in the building to be honest.
But no-one really cares. It always backfires, because the people who get complained at our the frontline staff. Us! We're used to that anyway, so what's the difference?

I sent off for some job details for a librarian post in Berkshire yesterday. Unfortunately the job description was vague about the actual location of this post, which could be a problem as I can't easily get to places yet (though I'm looking into finally getting driving lessons after our holiday) but it's worth a go. Its a fiction librarian post, which I'd really enjoy and if I'm honest is probably the job I'd like best of all, although I'd probably be a very good childrens librarian. It's early days for applications yet and I know I can take my time to find the right job for me because I still have a job, but I don't want to be stuck in this one forever. That would be pointless.

In a moment of joy at work I made the head of the service, Ruth squirm for a bit on Monday morning. And quite right too if you ask me, for she stole our biscuits. Now I know of the face of it, one packet of digestives isn't a great deal to get worked up about, but sometimes we all get stuck on the principle of the matter. She stole the biscuits bought by the tea club because she couldn't be bothered to buy her own for the meeting. It was far more convenient to take ours. Still she did offer to buy lots of supplies in return for this, but she didn't apologise to anyone who was actually involved (but then she wouldn't, she's ignorant and rude like that is Ruth Burgess) but well, of nothing else I made her do something about it because she wouldn't have done if I hadn't brought the matter up.

*sigh* I'm really fed up of all the battles. I just want a happy job.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A happy job - move out of librarianship mate then!

On the other hand I had to stand through a ten minute diatribe from our builder last week about why the NHS is poor - all down to the receptionists. Knowing the true story (it's all those multiple layers of middle management bed counters that cause the service's near cardiac arest) and having a mother who's had to retire from stress of useless management he was lucky I didn't nut him!

10:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fictional post? ;)

10:49 am  
Blogger Si said...

I'd be just right for a fictional post! :D

10:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So long as it's not a frictional post like the current one ;)

11:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've made me want a digestive now.

Si.

10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home