The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Soap

I think Steve was rather surprised when I came home last night and asked to watch Neighbours. I'm not sure why, as I've never really made any secret of the fact that I love the show.

There's a school of thought that says Neighbours is the ultimate disposable soap, that you watch as a teenager and then you give it up... The constant influx of new younger characters every so often for the new viewers tends to reinforce this view, and yet I still love it. In these days when I've given up watched every other soap I think I'm still allowed to watch this one.
I'm not sure if it's in a good period or not at the moment. It's difficult to judge. I rather like the Timmins family, I'm enjoying all the Robinson family intrigue with Robert/ Cam, and Boyd is of course, rather lovely on the eye too. There are, however, too many characters who don't contribute a great deal and it's good to hear that some of them are on the way out... Though sadly not Ned, who inexplicably is staying. I don't know why, he doesn't add much.
So anyway, I'm a Neighbours watcher and I don't care what anyone thinks of that!!

I'm in a wistful, melancholy mood tonight. I was thinking of Grandad tonight and it brought a few tears with some happy memories. It still, even now, 18 months later seems very strange that he's no longer with us. I do miss him sometimes, just the little things and his very reassuring presence in all our lives.
But life moves on around us, Luke and Annabel are proof of that. Luke made me laugh today as he stole my chips at lunchtime and pretended it wasn't him that had done it, and he made me smile as he asked about the old Cybermen with torches in their heads! He's such a fan!
Annabel is just gorgeous and the way she giggles at me always makes me smile. We're lucky to have them both, very lucky.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love "Neighbours"! We watch it every day, recording it even when we're home and then watching it perhaps ten minutes later when we're all settled or even after dinner. It's the perfect slice of disposable escapism after a long day.

We feel the same as you re: characters. We are entertained by the Timmins, simply love Paul and his family (though it's about time the Cam plot got wound up) and "enjoy" watching Dylan and Boyd. And Jackie Woodburn is an icon! Alas sometimes you get the other 'side' of things, and we can't stand Connor, Toady, Ned or the whole House of Trouser. The Wrestling storyline and anything involving them is simply dire!

We love Izzy and wish she was staying too!

Si.

8:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home