The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Guidance

Ideally I'd know exactly what I was doing and just get on with it, but it turns out I'm not sure I do. Writing up my results has gone ok, I've written 4000 words or so on them, going into details of what was said and that kind of thing, the thing I'm not sure that my linear approach is right. It just feels, well, a bit dull. I think what I know what I need to do to make things right, but I'll wait and see tomorrow morning when Jackie phones and I can throw a couple of ideas around with her, see what she thinks. I want to make this a great piece of work (though I'll setlle for a good piece of work if I have to) and so for the first time I need some guidance.

I wotked at Harmans Water library last night. It's always odd working there because that's the branch I used as a kid. It's funny really, I wasn't a confident child really, I was rather shy, but I never was in the library.
The woman who ran the library, Muriel (now there's a good librarian name!) was rather austere, with half moon specs and greying hair, a typical librarian really, although she was also incredibly glam too, but she was always very nice to me. I used to ask her to order me Doctor Who books from across the county and she was always very paitent and helpful and always got me what I wanted! I've never forgotten that and I hope that in some of the kids I help now will remember me as fondly.
It's a small library is Harmans Water, but it's got a lovely atmosphere. They used to have more than a few hardback Doctor Who books and I must have borrowed them all more than a few times... The Curse of Peladon, The Soace War, Frontios to name a couple! Happy days!

Current Novel: Jasper Fforde: The Fourth Bear
Current Music: I Am The Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Current Words Completed of Dissertation: 12,405

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know what you mean about childhood librarians, I still remember the ones who helped me as a kid as I read through the entire kids section and started work on the reference section (well close on) and was annoyed I couldn't take out the "non-junior" fiction when I was already reading it at home!

And I think everything I've ever written professional has been dull dull dull - so don't fret ;)

2:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"written professional" - sheesh, not to mention badly spelled...

2:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used our library as a kid but the only books I ever got out were Tintin and Doctor Who. For both, I used to search for mythical 'new' books I hadn't read before, but they never appeared. It never occured to me that they might just not be there at the library (I always thought someone must have those ones out) or, heaven forbid, to actually ask them to order them in for me!

Si.

8:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home