The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Overreactions

What a strange old day it's been on Planet Skaro. In some ways I suppose it's all my fault, at least from the point of view of starting the whole thing off. Pip didn't take my actions well. Actually that's quite possibly an understatement, but I think if you're going to be a member of the admin team of a forum then you have to set an example to the rest of the forum and be beyond reproach.
As it is, what he actually did was quite a minor thing, just a sarky comment about a new thread (a thread that was pretty ropey to be honest, but hey, at least the guy was starting a new thread) that had been posted. What got me was that Pip does this kind of thing all the time. He makes comments that are downright rude or nasty and passes them off as "cheeky banter" by putting an emoticon after them, and I know that he's upset one or two people in the past with them. So anyway, I waded in and closed the thread before it got out of hand (because there was an argument brewing, which began shortly afterwards when the poster found the comment). This was apparently knee jerk reaction. Well yes it was, because that's what all moderation is about. Anyway I sent a message to Pip saying that I felt he was out of order, and later I sent another one to him explaining my actions because I got cross about the knee jerk reaction comment. if you want to challenge another mods actions you shouldn't do it in front of everyone else.
I didn't get a reply.
Anyway, there was another thread that somehow turned into an argument and I feel like it's all my fault for daring to do what I felt was right in the circumstances. *sigh* Perhaps I shouldn't bother in future.

Anyway, enough of that. It's taken up too much of my thoughts today. Perhaps I should talk about how in the midst of this I had my images of a happy childhood shattered. No I don't feel like mentioning that either.
Good news. My ultrasound scan and blood tests have shown nothing abnormal, so I'm officially well. Hooray. That's something.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did everything right, to me.

Sometimes, as a mod on a forum, you can find yourself in a position where you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. As long as the decision you make is the one that seems right to you, and you're happy with that decision, that's all that matters.

8:46 pm  
Blogger WhiteCrowUK said...

"He makes comments that are downright rude or nasty and passes them off as "cheeky banter" by putting an emoticon after them"

I can do that - I think in a way it's a bit of a Northern thing, a kind of humour.

But it cheered me up anyway - no I don't find entertainment in arguments, but I was feeling a bit wierd, sensitive and off it yesterday and at least I felt like it wasn't just me.

It is a shame it got closed though cos I had a whole intelligent argument to spin out which has been brewing up ever since someone said one of my stories was plagerism! ;-)

9:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home