The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Elliott's New Moon.

There was a "new" album by Elliott Smith released last week, New Moon, and it finally arrived here yesterday. Of course, being dead, it's not a "new " album in the sense of being new material, but instead it's an album of demos, unreleased material and some live radio spots. The fragile nature of the songs- just him and his guitar most of the time is rather affecting and moving. The songs I've always liked best by him are the little acoustic ones where he seems to be bearing his soul to the world because he's not hidden under away behind the arrangement. He can't hide in the strings!
What's always been special about him for me, is that for years he was mine. I didn't know of anyone else that had heard him or indeed anyone else that liked his work. The few people I'd introduced to his songs weren't very enthusiastic about him, so he was someone that I could appreciate and keep to myself. Sometimes we all need to have something that only we appreciate I think. And Elliott was mine. Of course, now I see that he has a huge and dedicated fanbase online, and they all feel the same way. I don't want to be involved in that- I want to keep my appreciation to myself.
Even all these years after he rather graphically committed suicide, I still haven't bought all his albums. It's an odd thing really I suppose, because I love his work and the albums I have by him are some of my most played CDs, especially the wonderful Figure 8. Yet I haven't made the effort to buy them. I think the reason is that I know there's a limit to what "new" material there's going to be from him in the future, and if I don't buy all his albums all at once, then there's always going to be something new from him for me to find. Silly huh? It makes a kind of sense to me though.

I was rather overwhelmed by new music last night really, as I also heard the new Crowded House single too. It's being streamed from their official website, and I couldn't resist a listen. I was pleased to find that it's really rather good. A grower I think, but I'm sure I'll be giving it the chance to really win me over!
It's always a risk getting a band back together, and I always said I'd rather they didn't do it because there's a huge chance they'll never regain their past form. Especially since they're my favourite band ever. Yet, on hearing the news, I was elated and pleased, and having heard some of the new material recently, I don't feel that elation was misplaced.
It's only a few weeks until we go and see them now, and it's rather exciting. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Having musical heroes is a risk because they can so easily let you down. I'm so pleased and lucky that my biggest ones never have.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spotted the new Elliott album and thought of you Si, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I know exactly what you mean about keeping it special too!

Si.

9:24 am  
Blogger Midnight Man said...

Glad it finally arrived, Si!

It's so achingly gorgeous, and most of it's from my favourite 'Smith' era, the mid 90s. That it's finally put my favourite song of his on an official release is also gratifying. 'Going Nowhere' is very special to me.

As for not having all his albums - I kind of know what you mean. I haven't bought Roman Candle yet, for example. Because I know it's there, and the same reasons you put forth yourself. It's an odd thing. I want to hear everything, but sometimes you need a bit of perspective. For example, Jeff Buckley - his only real album was a masterpiece. Nothing they've released posthumously has ever achieved that standard, but has his legend ascribed to it. And there's been a lot of posthumous Buckley releases (I know since I'm stupid and buy them).

New Moon goes against the grain, as did From a Basement... they're both utterly essential. It's only due to Smith's overbearing perfectionism that the New Moon songs weren't made into proper tracks till now. Yet you and I and many more would agree that some of his most beautiful work is contained on those 2 discs.

5:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home