The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Monday, November 05, 2007

Signing Misery.

It's been a bit of a disappointing day today. I got up extra early to go off with Steve into London for the David Tennant and Freema Aygeman signing today. We weren't nearly determined enough to be one of the 300. We arrived to find that they'd already allocated the 300 wristbands to those who'd arrived earlier and so there was no way we were going to get in. I'd just underestimated the profile of the show and the determination some fans have to get in! It is just one of those things I suppose. There certainly seemed to be a great deal of hype about the event when I popped in a bit later on- and David and Freema seemed to be enjoying meeting the fans which is great to see.
However, I made the mistake of tagging along with Ali and co and went to The Stamp Centre where Peter Davison and Tom Baker were doing a signing. Ali and her friends were great company, but the event itself sucked for the most part. The guests seemed uninterested in the people that were there and carried on their conversation paying us very little attention at all, the prices were outrageous for the things you had to buy to go in and the queue was out in the cold for over an hour. I remembered why I stopped going. Today has left me rather tired and jaded about the whole thing, which is a shame after the success of the Lis Sladen signing in Borders a week or two back. I was lulled into a false sense of security; things haven't really changed a great deal after all.
On the plus side, I did get to tell the Target book artist Jeff Cummins how great I thought his covers were. That's a good thing!

Good thing I had a nice weekend then! It was a real pleasure to go to Gaz's second annual fireworks party. There was really good company, really good fireworks, great soup and a chance to ctach up with ex-presidents of SubOrbital (The Sheffield University Sci-Fi and Fantasy Society). It was wonderful to see Paul again after what must be 10 years or so. He's still a nice guy, and his girlfriend, Sharon was very nice too.
Of course it was great to see Gaz and Sarah (that goes without saying) twice in one week, and to walk in and start chatting like we saw each other yesterday. I really wish we were able to see them more often, but at least we're all realistic and know that our busy lives work against that more often than not. Still, hopefully we'll see them sometime around Christmas as they're down in Bovingdon and we're up in Watford, so that shouldn't be too tricky to organise. Let's hope so, eh?

Last week was packed full of stuff! Tuesday, Mum took me out for lunch and we had a good chat and a good lunch together. That evening I went out for a curry for Jo and Janet's leaving do and enjoyed singing along to the rather good Lennon and McCartney tribute band that were playing there. Wednesday we had Gaz and Sarah over and went out to The Yorkshire Rose for a wonderful meal (they do a good Liver and Bacon there) and had a great time catching up. Thursday went to Camberley Theatre to see In The Cage, a Genesis tribute band, with Ant and Teresa. Good company, but the band were just ok really- not nearly as great as Re-Genesis were, but they did play One for the Vine, which is a good thing to do. We saw Dad and Sue again too, which was good. It's really good to see him so happy.
It's no wonder I'm tired!

5 Comments:

Blogger WhiteCrowUK said...

Chin up lad - you're a Doctor Who fan goddamnit ...

8:12 pm  
Blogger WhiteCrowUK said...

"a chance to ctach up with ex-presidents of SubOrbital (The Sheffield University Sci-Fi and Fantasy Society)"

Have you been warned again not to change your name to "Zed" whilst I'm around! ;)

You know one of the names someone pitched for the early SubOrbital was "No ... nothemindprobe".

8:16 pm  
Blogger WhiteCrowUK said...

Hmmm ... the truth about Zed.

I'm kind of slow on some things.

He used to tell me how he hated Back to the Future with a vengence. The reason was the terrorists were all "comedy Arab" stereotypes. This seemed fair enough and "right on".

Then one night we went around his, and experienced a night of "Pro-IRA" Irish folk music with songs such as "My Little Armalite".

I wonder if he's in Guantanamo as we speak ...

11:43 pm  
Blogger Si said...

"No... Not the Mind Probe!" could have been fun, though I'm sure it'd have got us mocked even more than we were!
Ruth (my predecessor) was telling me about the one time she met Zed. She asked him if it was his real name, and he stormed off and never returned! He sounds a little frightening and I now relaise why he was spoekn of in such hushed tones in my day!

As for yesterday, well that was yesterday. I just have to keep my resolve and not go to any more signings unless they're at Borders!

8:31 am  
Blogger WhiteCrowUK said...

We made him disappear by mentioning around the Islamic society what an uncanny resemblance he had to Salmon Rushdie.

He was a great guy, but also kind of a bit creepy.

9:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home