The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Looking Back, Moving Forward

As Planet Skaro prepares to move to its new shiny home and new forum provider, I've been having a look back at some of the great (and not so great!) reviews of Doctor Who that have been posted over the last four years. There's some good stuff on there, hidden between the inevitable single line "I like/ hate this one" reviews and I hope that my big article will be remind people of some of the things that made them think about what they were watching or made them laugh.
What surprised me most was that I'd made a whole number of intelligent posts along the way! I'd sort of forgotten how we used to review stories quite thoroughly (though not as thoroughly as some of the essays that have appeared recently) and argue about the things we liked and didn't like. There were two in particular on The Leisure Hive and Full Circle that were rather good and I might just save the two of them in their entirety, along with some typically thoughtful pieces by Si Hunt (his Ribos Operation piece is a bit of a classic) and Andrew Curnow.

It'll be odd to leave it all behind, but people don't seem very concerned about losing it, but I guess my archiving, hording nature means I'd like to save as much as possible for prosperity! Yes, there's a lot of dross on there, alot of repetition too, but lots of lovely threads too.

I remember going to PS for the first time and knowing only a couple of you towards the end of 2002, and feeling a bit out of place for a while... that soon changed! Now I've met some of the loveliest people you could ever hope to meet, found the loveliest boyfriend in the whole world and made over 13000 posts... How things change!

There have been many highlights for me: I loved all the stuff around the 40th anniversary where people listed all their favourite stories and all their favourite memories of the show and how much it meant to them, the serious outpouring of optimism and happiness when the new series was first announced and all those wonderful reactions, both good and bad as the series has aired. Low point was really the EzBoard hack, where we lost so much good stuff, but even that has had a good side, namely the forthcoming move, which'll be very good fun. We've been knocked, battered and hacked, but PS is still here and ready to move and only get better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home