The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Friday, June 23, 2006

Alone Tonight

Like Mr Hunt I've got a couple of days on my own. Steve has gone off to Poland for Muzzy's Stag do, and since I have to go to my cousins wretched wedding on Saturday, I couldn't really go with him (and to be honest I was worried about taking several days off and I'd be worried about how behind I got on my dissertation... As it is, I think I'm doing ok, but I didn't know that a month back when to was being planned), so I've got a couple of days to myself.

This week at work has mostly given me the chance to do huge amounts of training on the new library management system, Horizon. I've been really enjoying it. The system is ok, not brilliant, but it's probably going to be better for us in the long run, but training everyone else to use it has been really good. I really enjoy doing the training. I think I'm quite good at it... I've got a lot of patience, which is good!
Its amazing when you're doing things like this just how different people react to it. On Wednesday I was training staff from one of the branch libraries and they came in all enthusiastic and cheerful, almost desperate to learn it, yet the people I work with every day have been difficult about it, and really negative. Even Anna took me by surprise, by being easy to teach and paying attention. Usually she's got a very small attention span, but she seems to have taken to the new system fine, which makes all of our lives easier!
I am pleased, however, to be at home today, not having to do any talking and just being able to get on with dissertation stuff. There's a small pile of questionnaire responses to compile and it's time to start really digging into the results I've got and to start planning my focus groups (Gaz, my tutor agreed with you on that strategy)... I do wonder if I've been devoting enough time to it all, but I've got a week off coming up shortly, when I shall be devoted to it! Lucky me!

Current novel: Douglas Coupland: Jpod
Current Blakes 7: Gambit
Current music: Belle and Sebastian: Act of the Apostle

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh Weddings, what fun. (not)

Horizon? Isn't that B7 as well...

And of course your tutor agreed with me - I am a library GOD! (which isn't really that great)

11:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home