The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Monday, December 10, 2007

Live On Earth: Crowded House

When bands reform, you never quite know what you're going to get. Will they be able to recapture the magic that attracted you to them in the first place? Will any new material stand up against the old that you know so well? Will they be any good?

I know I often say Crowded House are my favourite band (which indeed they are) but last night proved why. They're just not an ordinary band in my eyes. They're the only band I've ever seen live that make their gigs feel intimate and special no matter how large the venue is. They just seem to have the magic touch when it comes to banter within the band and with the audience, which makes every person in the audience feel that they're involved. They've got great senses of humour too and they're just a joy to watch. It was Nick Seymour's birthday yesterday (same day as Gaz's!) and they had a birthday cake and the whole audience sang Happy Birthday and watched him unwrap his presents. I can't imagine that happening with any other band!

Music wise they were spot on. Even better than in June! Matt Sherrod seem to have really settled into the band and his drumming was terrific- very powerful and strong. I wasn't sure how the songs from Time on Earth would come across since many of them are rather melancholy and a little bit fragile, but being played live seem to bring out the best in them, particularly Walked Her Down, which I'd not rated too highly before, but sounded fantastic last night; Nobody Wants To was beautiful and Pour Le Monde became an angry protest! Fantastic.

And the old songs sounded fabulous too. Of course there will always be ones that don't get played that I'd really like to hear- I Feel Possessed being one I suppose, but it's churlish to complain about that kind of thing, when we got a set that lasted right up to the curfew time and their second encore saw them play some songs that I never guessed we'd hear, the highlight of which was the fragile and beautiful She Goes On, which really got me. It was just wonderful to see them all up on stage having such a great time that they didn't want to stop playing for us. You cannot ask for more from your heroes!

So yes, that's another greatest gig ever. Funny how they keep stacking them up- in Sheffield June 94, The Finn Brothers at the Albert Hall, now this one. I'm so glad they're back. My favourite band ever, and with good reason.

Oh and Distant Sun was bloody fantastic too! :D

Set list (thanks to Finner 79 on the Frenz forum):

Private Universe, Don't Stop Now, It's Only Natural, Fall At Your Feet,
Nobody Wants To, She Walked Her Way Down, Walking On The Spot, When You Come,
In My Command, Silent House, Don't Dream It's Over, Say That Again, Pour Le Monde,
Mean To Me, Distant Sun.

Weather With You, Pineapple Head / Those Were The Days, Something So Strong

Happy Birthday Nick, Fingers Of Love,
Mark's Song (We Are Not The Jet Set), She Goes On,Throw Your ArmsAround Me, Black And White Boy, Four Seasons In One Day, I'm Only Sleeping, Better Be Home Soon

1 Comments:

Blogger WhiteCrowUK said...

Glad to hear you're having a better time at the moment!

Have a good Christmas if I don't see you before!

8:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home