The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Monday, May 29, 2006

Bank Holiday

It's been a nice weekend. Although I was working on Saturday, it's still nice to get the extra day off at the end of it and I don't feel as if I've squandered it away, which sometimes happens on Bank Holiday weekends.
Steve is busy at the moment trying to get his story finished for a short story competition, the closing date of which is Wednesday. It's rather good, but in need of some severe editing as it's 2000 words over length. It takes real skill and a simple premise to tell a good story in 2500 words, but I'm certain he can get it down to length and it'll still be good. I've read it and I liked the premise and the central character a great deal, so I hope it does well for him.

We had a lovely evening on Saturday, as our good friend Dave came over to watch Doctor Who with us. We had a great time having a few glasses of wine, and a good chat with him. He's a great guy, very friendly and out going (which I suppose you have to be if you work in the entertainment business trying to sort out the entertainment for cruise ships) and he always makes us laugh with his stories. I think he was a bit embarrassed the morning after, as fuelled by the alcohol, he'd asked us some pretty searching questions about our relationship and how it works... If they'd been that bad we wouldn't have answered them, so there weren't any real worries there.

We have, however, seemingly managed to upset several people on PS over the weekend. It's all so damn silly, with people taking offence at what we thought we fairly innocent comments. In some ways it stems from our reaction to this week's episode, which we thought was really very good, and when we went online at the end of the night of drinking, we found that people weren't quite as enthusiastic as we were. The next morning, we went back on and didn't really check the thread carefully, and Steve happened to mention the rather indifferent reaction it'd got.
Before you know it, some people rate posting to complain that we're encouraging a wholly positive outlook on the new show, and that you're not allowed to criticise the new series at all (which since we didn't like The Girl in the Fireplace and said as much on that thread, would be hypocritical of us) and a certain poster had a bit of a strop (sorry, but that's how it came across to us) saying he'd not bother putting up his comments on the thread anymore because of it. Well that of course is up to him, but it would be a great shame if he didn't.
So what we've ended up with, as far as I can see, is a silly little misunderstanding, over nothing in particular. We said out bit, and so did they. It's not even that we don't like the people involved (well apart from the one who gets on my tits fairly often, but that's another matter), it's just that I think everyone involved has overreacted somewhat. We're not perfect and sometimes we do say things that with a little bit more thought we might not do, but that's what happens on message boards. Ah well. It'll blow over soon enough and it'll be business as usual before too long I'm sure.

Current Music: Grandaddy: OK With My Decay
Current Most Listened to Band on Last FM: Super Furry Animals
current Most Played Song According to Last FM: Franz Ferdinand: Do You Want To?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how that all happened really. I know you guys get annoyed when you get that sinking feeling going on-line after feeling an episode's been perfect, only to find it being taken apart... but imagine that I get that same feeling when I feel I can't view something critically without being cast as a villain. It's not that any one person called me that, it's just that after a few critical posts you can tell you're both dissapointed and suddenly I feel like I'm being a bit of a baddie really. I wouldn't mind if I'd hated the thing, but I really loved it! If you read my original post you'll see that I did! It just felt somehow less perfect than other episodes, so I wanted to convey that to give context to my comments on all the other weeks. But after explaining why an episode I loved was slightly less than perfect, I oddly find myself feeling somehow mean. It's nobodies fault, I guess the truth is you make me feel bad for finding fault when it's so good. But I couldn't help but get spoiled after so many good episodes and not like this one quite as much.

Because it was my fault, I thought it would be better if I just stayed out of commenting in future. I tried to write it politely and unemotionally but it still seems to have been taken as a strop. Not my intention :-(

I feel I should somehow apologise but I don't really know what for. On reflection, I'll be posting my comments on next weeks episode after all. I'll leave it up to you to decide if this is a good thing or not! ;-)

Your friend as always,

Si.

11:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear Sim, but not the end of the world now is it - I liked Girl in the Fireplace, but thought this week's was a bit ordinary. Different strokes though, can't please all of the people etc and many other such platitudes.

Or is it platipae?

We had Auntie Ruth over watching it with us, and I don't think she found my Eastenders-stylee additional dialogue funny/helpful. Made the Wife laugh though.

11:43 am  
Blogger Si said...

No it's not the end of the world, and everything seems to be sorted, thank goodness. Life is full of little misunderstandings, and they soon pass. I'm glad we've got it sorted and I look forward to disagreeing with you again next week Si!

How is Auntie Ruth doing these days? She never did approve of your heckling, Gaz, so I'm not surprised to hear she still doesn't!!

2:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me put it this way - like sucking on a lemon was she...

Other than that, she's a bit like Ruth 1.5 these days, not quite as much fund as when she was married, but more fun than Ruth 1.0!

8:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home