The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Flippin' 'Eck!

I've just finished watching one of the many lovely shiny DVDs I got for my birthday. It's shockingly rare that I ever get through anything so quickly and yet this one has had me gripped from the first episode. I've been watching Grange Hill from the start, thanks to my brother and Laura and I've loved it.

Yes, it may be a little creaky now, the filmised picture a little bit smeary and yuck, but the quality of the storylining, characters and acting has been top notch. That's why it stands the test of time OK. It's been a real pleasure to get to know the characters all over again, and I understand why the Tucker years are held in such high regard- the characters are so good, and it must have been really shockingly realistic at the time, compared with the rest of Children's TV. It certainly feels grittier and more down to earth than some of the later years I watched when I was a kid (no arsing around with donkeys for a start) and the characters are great- especially as these were the originals. How many times did they try and work the same characters in in later years- Doyle the bully, Tucker the cheeky chap, Trisha the right on feisty girl? We saw several versions of them all...
My favourite period was probably the Zammo and then the Gonch years, as those were the ones I watched when I was the right age, but these ones were really rather good. Especially, the often forgotten Mr Mitchell, who was played to perfection by Michael Percieval, who was brilliantly convincing as first form tutor (showing my age there, opps!).

Oh and who could ever forget the iconic theme and titles? Flying sausage! Hooray! Brilliant stuff!

Now just Jeeves and Wooster, Mr Benn (at last), Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, Kenny Everett's Naughty Bits, Fawlty Towers, A Hard Day's Night, A Cup O' Tea and a Slice o' Cake to go... well we've got time now there's no Doctor Who on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home