The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Backwards

For reasons that will never be clear to anyone else, ever, Steve and I decided almost 5 years ago to watch Doctor Who in story order, only backwards.It made a kind of sense to us back then and seemed like something that no-one would attempt to do and so it became our thing. Tonight we finished, with part 3 of Delta and the Bannermen. That might seem like an odd choice (as surely it ought to be An Unearthly Child or the pilot version), but Steve had always had this thing about the last Doctor Who from the classic series he saw would be the last two episodes of this story as he missed them at the time. I think he was a little disappointed, but with this hanging over him unwatched for just over 20 years, I suppose it was always going to be a little unsatisfactory really.
And I watched The Dominators for the first time in 17 years, after swearing that I would never do it. I've been called a traitor by my co-Dominators hater, Si Hunt, but you know I don't regret it. I watched it, enjoyed it and decided that are stories out there that are far, far worse. In fact I shall make it my mission in life not to watch Planet of Evil for 17 years. Sadly I don't think I'll enjoy it even after a long wait.

There were many highlights and low lights in our backwards run, possibly many things that no-one else will appreciate. The Deadly Assassin pt 4 being the funniest episode we watched for instance. We still laugh about that one. We found some stories didn't deserve their reputations and became big fans of Colony in Space (watched the day Annabel was born when we almost picked the keys up for the house) but didn't enjoy The Daemons, I came away with new respect for Pertwee too, which was unexpected and we found season 5 and season 15 really difficult to get through . Season 18 was class of course. We took a year to do Tom and another year to watch Pertwee and then over 2 years to do Hartnell and Troughton- McCoy, Colin and Davison were done in less than a year. We were more dedicated at the start!
And the reviews were fun too! We laughed a lot while we wrote them and hopefully we entertained everyone on PS with them over the years. I think, judging from the comments we got that people think we are mad!

It'll be odd not having it there to do. Sometimes it's been a chore and not much fun, but overall I think it's been a worthwhile use of our time. Lets face it, no-one else would do anything so silly, so that about sums us up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home