The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Repossession

Last night, we did our bit for a friend. We put Ashley up for the night, as due to circumstances beyond his control, he'd been made homeless. Basically his parents, for various reasons, hadn't paid the mortgage and their house had been repossessed. Not good, as you can imagine, particuarly as his Mum had no idea just how bad things were... anyway, we helped as much as we could by letting Ashley stay overnight and tried to buck him up and get him organised for what he does next.
To be honest, I think Steve was better than I was over the whole issue. He was quite adamant that he couldn't stay more than a night or two if needed, and though it's difficult to say, I think he's quite right. It's easy to get taken for a mug and I think Steve could see it becoming a rather longer term thing than I did, and wanted to nip the idea in the bud of him staying here indefinitely. I'm a bit of a soft touch you see, and would probably have let him stay for a few nights, but like Steve said, we don't want to out stay his welcome and fall out over it.
So we spent the evening trying to keep him cheerful, and trying to work out what happens next. Hopefully he's gone off today with a good idea of things to do and can get himself sorted out through the council, who I'm sure will be able to help in the short term while his family sort things out.

It does make me realise how lucky we both are with our families. Neither of us could imagine our families would just run off and leave us to sort ourselves out, with nothing at all, except what we had on us at the time (he couldn't get into the house to even pick up a change of clothes).. it just wouldn't happen. It just goes to show, we're both very lucky to be part of a family that'd drop everything to help sort things out in an emergency.

Current Music: Elliott Smith: Waltz #2
Current Novel: Philip Pullman: The Subtle Knife
Current Dissertation Task: Questionnaire analysis

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tricky! Being a good friend is sometimes saying "Now sort your life out!"

4:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see Steve would be good at that sort of thing actually. If I'm ever made homeless I shall make for Bracknell for a bed for the night and some good advice! Though I shouldn't joke about it, it must be terrible for him. I'm well aware of the fragility of home-owning. It's all stacked against you really - you can pay these huge amounts every month for your whole life, and if at any point you stumble on bad times and can't pay, well they just take it all back and it all counts for nothing.

As a wise person once said "from the penthouse to the basement... it's not that far"

Si.

8:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home