The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Selfishness

Sometimes you find yourself being selfish, despite not wanting to be. I suppose I just wanted a evening where I come home from work and I'm not forced to go and do anything. As I embark on the dissertation (and it is beginning, slowly as I do my initial literature review for the proposal) I can see a lot of my time being eaten into, and just for now I don't want to feel like I've got to do things. It's very difficult to find a good balance to it all. I know that I have to come home and do some work every night just to keep it going, but balancing that with everything else that needs doing is often tricky... I need to eat, to sleep, talk to Steve... all of that and more, and trying to fit it all together so nothing suffers is hard.
So I'm not going to the pub tomorrow night and I don't want everyone coming back here after they've been to the pub, because I'm tired enough as it is, and I know they'll wake me up however quiet they try to be... and bless them, they're never quiet! At least I said something this time... I should have one the other week when they were here for the weekend when I had flu. I suppose I should stand up and say something more often, and not let myself get cross inside for tring to keep everyone happy, but, as I said, it isn't easy!

Just so this isn't a total rant, I really enjoyed watching the video to Steam by Peter Gabriel... it's nothing special, but the big hat and his smile were quite infectious! Great stuff. That DVD turned out to be a bit of a winner overall, and I'm looking forward to watching the one Dad lent us. He seemed to enjoy it very much!

Current DVD: Peter Gabriel: Play
Current Mood: Selfish
Current favourite colour for big hats: Purple

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the dissertation on? Anything exciting? Will you be spamming the JISC mailbase lists with the traditional cry of postgrad LIS students "I am a student at X Uni doing my dissertation on X. Please respond to my 4000 line questionnaire. Thank you..."

Always makes me laugh and sometimes I even respond ;)

Can't you sleep and talk to Steve at the same time? :)

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and I've yet to be "amazed" by your world - or does the title of the blog need some post-modern ironic " " marks? ;)

1:42 pm  
Blogger Si said...

The "" might be a good idea, because your right... however the pretty ordinary world of Si Hart is pretty dull and who'd want to read that? At least this way there's a chance I might fool someone into reading it!

8:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record Si,
I don't that anything in your post there fits my definition of 'selfishness'.
Taking yoour own needs into account isn't selfish.

6:48 pm  
Blogger Si said...

You're probably right, Wayne. Sometimes I get so used to thinking of everyone else I forget that I have to make sure I'm happy too!

7:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home