The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Monday, March 06, 2006

An Unlikely Passion

It's funny, but I never saw this new passion coming. Over the last few months I've found myself becoming passionate about my job! I rarely get myself involved in things, mostly because I've always been a bit of a coward when it comes to standing up for myself, but I've found I've become more and more of a rebel against the management of our library service over the last few months.

We're going through a staff restructure at the moment. Actually, we're living with the results of the restructure at the moment, and it's not working as well as it should. The problem is none of the management want to listen to our concerns. They ignored them through the consultation process and they're ignoring them now. We've got a staff that is stretched to it's limits trying to make it work, but we don't seem to get the support we need in return.
Now, I don't think it's too much to ask that they address our concerns (particularly as it's backed up with plenty of evidence) in their review, but because our library assistant jobs have not substantially changed (on paper, the reality is somewhat different) we're being denied the chance to talk to human resources about the change and my efforts to bring the concerns to a big staff meeting to be held later in the month have so far been met with the usual stony silence? What can you do? It's a job I realy enjoy, but we're having the best bits of it worn away by staffing shortages and lack of time to get anything other than our normal duties done. It's the customers who suffer, as they simply do not get the level of service they deserve... but then the management couldn't really give a toss about them.

We'll see how it all progresses, and in the meantime I'll keep the pressure on and hope it does some good!

Current music: Kate Bush Aerial
Current Doctor Who: The Mind Robber
Current temperature in the Library: 14 c

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home