The Amazing World of Si Hart

Amazing insights into my mind as I battle against the inefficient world of the library, moderate a message board, write Doctor Who audio adventures and try and stay sane!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Wrapped up in books

The very best books you read make sure you find yourself completely wrapped up in their world, so much so that you don't really want to leave. I'm finding that with Geoff Ryman's Air at the moment. I enjoyed his last novel, Lust a great deal too, particuarly the way that he twisted and mangled reality throughout, but in a very thougtful way. 253 was a trickier read, but at the same time a very cleverly crafted book.
In Air, he's very carefully crafted a world a few years in the future that seems plausible. Setting the novel in a corner of China takes it away from the world most of us know already and through that, he's able to deal with the fear of technology that is found in people who've never had access to it before. With that we also get the fears of a global culture swallowing up the centuries of tradition that have been built up in the village, something that seems very pertinient.
I've really enjoyed the way that Mae has the two parts of this argument inside her ( I won't reveal how for now, as there's a certain someone who might want to read this book soon!) and how she has to deal with trying to make the village ready for the sweeping changes that are coming to the lives of it inhabitants.
The characters are extremely well drawn, and although I haven't quite finished it yet, this is, I think, one of the best novels I've read for a while. Highly recommended.

Casting news for the second series of Doctor Who has brought a wave of panic to PS today, and reminded people of the "horrors" of celebrity casting seen in the 1980s. Personally I find I don't much care either way. I'm willing to keep an open mind and see what he does with the role before I judge him. Of course, as we all know, fandom is a conservative place, and they'll judge things before they even know what they're like. Some things never seem to change a great deal.

We had some very happy news last night. Our good friend Jody gave birth to a son yesterday morning, and so we're really pleased for Paul, Jody and Tabby. Congratulations! Hope we get to meet him soon!

Current music: Super Furry Animals: Juxtaposed With U
Current mood: Happy
Current words completed on dissertation proposal: 560

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home